Under previous legislation, it was compulsory for young people to remain in education until the age of 16. However, as a result of legislation introduced in September 2013, the law now requires that young people continue in education, employment or training until the age of 18. Students in Salisbury have a number of options to choose from.
Decisions on where to continue education after WSE will be based on a number of factors
which may include:
- The location (taking into account the cost, time and logistics of travel)
- The subject courses offered
- The levels of courses offered
- The type of qualification offered
- The performance and results of the establishment
- The future pathway the student wishes to follow
- The type of establishment (e.g. college, sixth form or apprenticeship)
At WSE, in line with the Baker clause, we welcome representatives from all local post-16 providers into school to speak to our students. Students receive impartial careers guidance. All students in Year 11 will be encouraged to apply to at least two separate establishments but may choose to apply to more. The decision as to which placement to accept (following offers of a place) do not normally need to be made until exam results have been received in August.
Students are encouraged to attend open evenings around the time of applications and be aware that each establishment has different deadlines for applications. Students will be issued with information regarding these key dates in the Autumn term of Year 11.
Although, at 16, students can technically continue their education anywhere in the country, most students from WSE enrol at one of our MLP Partner schools:
Or at a range of other local providers:
- Peter Symonds College
- Bishop Wordsworth’s Grammar School
- The Burgate School and Sixth Form
- Brockenhurst College
- Wiltshire College
- South Wilts Grammar School
- Sparsholt College
- Totton College
- Andover College
- An apprenticeship
Post 16 Travel
Below is some information regarding Post 16 Travel and a Travel Form for 2023/24 for completion.